101 UMSU University Centre, R3T 2N2 umsu@umsu.ca 204-474-UMSU(8678) 8:30am - 4:30pm Monday - Friday

Your stop for information on campus! If you have a question about the University or UMSU, the UMSU Service Centre is where you can find information.

The UMSU Service Centre can provide information on university related matters such as registrations and exams, referrals and directions to office locations and information on transit routes. In addition to answering your questions, the UMSU Service Centre sells/provides:

  • -Bus Passes and Winnipeg Transit products
  • -U-Pass Information
  • -Transit Maps and Information
  • -Event/Social Tickets
  • -Poster Approvals for University Centre
  • -Lost & Found Service
  • -Student Group Rental Programs

Avoid the rush and long line ups! The UMSU Service Centre sells bus passes early; you can load the next month’s pass onto your Peggo card starting on the 15th of every month, or get the next week’s paper pass the Wednesday before.

*University Students are eligible for the Post Secondary Student Pass which saves 20% off an Adult Monthly pass. Students must be registered in at least 1 course during September-December, January-April, and May-August to be entitled to the Post Secondary Pass. If you registered today, you can get your Post Secondary Peggo card tomorrow.

If you are currently registered in courses, you can buy Post-Secondary Peggo products from the UMSU Service Centre (Formerly Answers Information Booth) or reload your Post-Secondary Peggo card at any Peggo retailer.

Full-time students: if you have a U-Pass and are continuing as a Full-Time student in the Fall or Winter terms, your card will automatically reload; there is no need to do anything as long as you see the U-Pass fee on your Aurora account for each term. Please note  that the U-Pass is currently not available in the summer term.

Part-time and ICM students can purchase a Post-Secondary Peggo card and load Post-Secondary fare products at the UMSU Service Centre throughout the year.

You must have your student ID to purchase or use any student bus fare products.

For inquiries, please contact the UMSU Service Centre Manager, Leeandra Wren, at leeandra.wren@umsu.ca or 204 474 9346.

1st Floor University Centre (Fort Garry Campus)
Phone number: 474-8211

Regular Session (September to April)

Hours of Operation:

Monday – Thursday 8:00am to 7:00pm

Friday 8:00am to 5:00pm

Summer Session (Starting week of April 29 to August)

Hours of Operation:

Monday – Friday 8:30am to 4:30pm

The UMSU Service Centre (Formerly Answers Information Booth) is CLOSED on weekends and statutory holidays (e.g. Labour Day)

Brodie Centre Atrium, 727 McDermot Avenue
Phone number: 789-3993

Regular Session (September – April)

Hours of Operation:

Monday – Friday 9:00am to 1:00pm

Answers Bannatyne is CLOSED weekends and statutory holidays (e.g. Labour Day)

We are currently updating this page. Thank you for your patience as we add more FAQs!

Common questions we receive at the Service Centre, answered here!


Where do I apply for admission?

Where can I talk to someone about my student loans/scholarships?

Where can I get my student loan processed?

Post office, 111 University Centre (in the Pharmacy).

Where can I get my Student Card?

Where do I go to see an academic advisor?

Where can I check my booklist?

Either through Aurora online system or at the bookstore directly.


  • Log onto Aurora
  • Click on Enrolment & Academic Records
  • Click on Student Records
  • Click on View Booklist

What are some important deadlines I should know about?

I need to defer a final exam. What do I do?