101 UMSU University Centre, R3T 2N2 umsu@umsu.ca 204-474-UMSU(8678) 8:30am - 4:30pm Monday - Friday

Returning Students

If you already have a U-Pass, and are returning full-time this Fall, your U-Pass will automatically reload and will be valid starting September 1.

Get a current Transit validation sticker at Answers; bring your U-Pass and student ID.

Lost or discarded U-Passes are subject to a replacement fee.

Questions? u-pass@umsu.ca

Your U-Pass questions answered here

U-Pass Information

The U-Pass is a Universal Transit Pass which provides unlimited access to Winnipeg Transit services for Full-Time students in exchange for a mandatory fee. The U-Pass fee of $134.10 per Term is automatically assessed on your Aurora fee statement.

The Fall Term U-Pass is valid September 1 – December 31. The Winter Term U-Pass is valid January 1 – April 30. There is no Spring/Summer U-Pass. 

Only Full-Time students – students enrolled in at least nine (9) credit hours in a Term – who are members of UMSU or the Graduate Students’ Association are eligible for the U-Pass.

You can use your U-Pass to ride Winnipeg Transit buses for the entirety of the Term in which you are eligible, without additional fares. Note: Your Student ID with the U-Pass sticker is required, along with the U-Pass when boarding a Transit bus to utilize the U-Pass.  If the appropriate Student ID is not presented, students risk confiscation of their U-Pass. Students are not to sell, barter or give away their U-Pass, as the penalty could be confiscation of the U-Pass and possible fines.

Note: Post-Secondary Monthly Transit passes and other Winnipeg Transit fare products will continue to be sold at both Answers Fort Garry & Answers Bannatyne. If you are experiencing issues purchasing a Post-Secondary PEGGO card from Answers, please check with the Registrar’s office to confirm your eligibility, as students must be registered in order to receive the student rate.


What is the U-Pass?

The U-Pass is a Universal Transit Pass which provides unlimited access to Winnipeg Transit transportation services in exchange for a mandatory fee. It is available exclusively to students registered full-time at the University of Manitoba and the University of Winnipeg.

The U-Pass is Term-based, so there is a Fall U-Pass and a Winter U-Pass, and each costs $134.10. This is applied directly to the accounts of students enrolled in a minimum of nine credit hours in a term, and is payable along with tuition. To see whether you are eligible for the U-Pass, check your Aurora fee statement and look at the detailed cost breakdown for the Term to see the U-Pass fee; if it is there, you can pick up your U-Pass.

When did the U-Pass begin?

UMSU members voted in a referendum in Fall 2014 to approve a mandatory U-Pass for all full-time students. City Council officially approved the implementation of the U-Pass in March 2015. The U-Pass program officially launched in Winnipeg in September 2016.

What are the benefits of the U-Pass?

You can use your U-Pass to ride Winnipeg Transit buses for the entire Term without additional fare. There is no limit, and you can use it to travel to places in Winnipeg other than campus – work, shopping, events, and more! You save over $370 a year compared with Post-Secondary monthly bus passes, and you don’t have to worry about parking, traffic, or finding change for bus fare.  Get home from a night out with friends safely, check out local attractions, discover the city, take a few minutes to study on your way, and you can even take advantage of the Park & Ride lots available in the city (go to www.winnipegtransit.com for more info).

Who is eligible for the U-Pass?

All full-time undergraduate and full-time graduate students that are members of UMSU or GSA will be assessed the U-Pass fee. If you are assessed the fee in your Aurora student account, you are eligible to pick up a U-Pass.

How do I get the U-Pass?

The U-Pass can be picked up starting mid-August in University Centre (Fort Garry Campus) and Answers at the Bannatyne Campus. Bring your student ID card! If you registered for courses today, you may need to wait until the next day for the system to show you are eligible.

How do I pay for the U-Pass?

Students who are eligible for the U-Pass will be assessed and must pay the U-Pass fee along with their tuition in each term for which they qualify. Student fee assessments are available on Aurora.

Can I opt in to the U-Pass?

Co-op students, visiting exchange students, and online/distance-only students taking at least nine (9) credit hours in a Term may be eligible to opt in to the U-Pass program, as well as students registered for a reduced course load with Student Accessibility Services whose full-time registration is at least six (6) credit hours in the Term. Part-time students and non-students are not eligible for the U-Pass.

How do I opt in to the U-Pass?

Eligible students must bring a copy of their fee statement and registration* to Answers Info Booth, complete a form, and pay the U-Pass fee directly to UMSU to opt in. Students who are not assessed student organization fees must also pay either UMSU or GSA membership fees to be considered eligible.

*Log in to your Aurora student account, go to Student Records – View Account Summary by Term, and click on the individual Term to see the detailed breakdown of fees. This is what you will print and bring to Answers. For your registration, go to Student Detail Schedule, and print the Term for which you are opting in. There should be a total number of credit hours listed at the top.

Can I opt out of the U-Pass?

Only students who have been assessed the U-Pass fee can apply to opt-out of the U-Pass, and all applicants will need appropriate documentation. The following are valid criteria for opting out successfully:

-Commute from a residence outside the City of Winnipeg boundaries

-Registered with CNIB or Handi-Transit

-Employee of Winnipeg Transit

-Co-op student, student studying outside of Canada, or student conducting research or an internship outside the City of Winnipeg boundaries for 60 days or more during the Term

-Already have a valid U-Pass from another post-secondary institution within the City of Winnipeg


The following are NOT valid reasons to opt-out of the U-Pass:

– I walk / cycle / carpool to campus

– I drive to campus / I purchased a U of M Parking Pass

– I live in Residence

– I don’t take the bus

Please note that all opt-out applications and supporting documentation must be submitted during the opt-out period starting September 1 and ending at 4:00pm September 20, 2018.

How do I opt out of the U-Pass?

Eligible students must complete an application form and submit the appropriate documentation online during the opt-out period; applications are then reviewed by a committee, and students whose opt-outs are approved will have the U-Pass fee removed from their account after the course revision deadline. Opt-out applications will open September 1 and close at 4:00pm September 20, 2018. All applications must be completed prior to the deadline.

Can I sell or share my U-Pass?

NO. The U-Pass is non-transferable and may only be used by the student to whom it is originally issued. Anyone caught selling a U-Pass may be subject to a fine, and anyone caught using an unauthorized U-Pass may have the pass confiscated and be subject to a fine.

How do I use the U-Pass?

You must show both the U-Pass and your student ID with a valid U-Pass sticker when boarding the bus. Show your student ID and tap the U-Pass on the farebox when you board the bus.

The Fall Term U-Pass is valid September 1 – December 31. The Winter Term U-Pass is valid January 1 – April 30.

  • DO NOT bend, wash, pierce, cut, alter, or damage the card. U-Pass Peggo cards damaged by the user are subject to a replacement fee.

Note: the U-Pass is NOT transferable – it can only be used by the student to whom it is issued. It cannot be resold, loaned, given, or traded to others. Misuse of a U-Pass will result in confiscation of the U-Pass, and may be punishable by a fine.

What happens if I lose my U-Pass?

Check at Answers and/or call Transit at 311 to see if someone may have turned in your lost U-Pass. Otherwise, a lost U-Pass can be replaced at Answers for a fee. You will need to bring your student ID.

Do I need to reload or activate my U-Pass for next Term?

No, your U-Pass will automatically reload for the next Fall or Winter Term as long as you are registered in at least nine credit hours for the Term.

I already have a U-Pass; what do I need to do for the new Term?

As long as you remained a full-time student, your U-Pass will automatically reload if you are taking at least three classes or nine credit hours. Bring your student ID and U-Pass to University Centre to receive a current U-Pass validation sticker.

If you dropped courses and were no longer eligible for the U-Pass in the previous Term (not counting Spring/Summer, as there is no U-Pass during the months of May-August), your U-Pass may have been deactivated, in which case you must go to Answers Info Booth with your student ID and U-Pass.

Lost or discarded U-Passes are subject to a replacement fee.

Is there a Spring or Summer Term U-Pass?

No; however, students will still be able to load Post-Secondary Transit products onto their U-Pass during the summer (May through August). Valid student ID is required when boarding the bus.

Can I claim the U-Pass on my tax returns?

The Fall 2016 and Winter 2017 U-Pass qualify for a tax credit for the same way monthly bus passes qualified under the Federal Transit credit, for only the 2016 and 2017 tax years, respectively. For proof of payment, go to your Aurora account summary and print the detailed statement showing the breakdown of fees for each Term for which you are claiming the U-Pass.

Note: the Federal government has discontinued the Transit tax credit effective June 30, 2017; you may only claim Transit passes for travel up to June 30th, 2017.

Where do I go if I have more questions about the U-Pass?

You can direct further questions about the U-Pass to u-pass@umsu.ca.