This is a summary of resources for students to help them cope during this challenging time – please share widely.
UNIVERSITY OF MANITOBA COVID-19 UPDATES
Information for students on the university’s Student Emergency Fund, parking refunds, VW withdrawal dates and pass/fail grading options, student services and more can be found here.
MENTAL HEALTH SUPPORTS
*Free counselling support over the phone for students.
- EMPOWER ME: 24-hour line 1-844-741-6389 (multi-lingual)
- ADAM SUPPORT LINE: 204-925-0600 (9 am-9 pm weekdays, 10 am-4 pm weekends)
- Aulneau Renewal COVID 19 Wellness Check: Learn how to register here
- LIMINAL SPACE THERAPY: call 204-799-3806 or 204-290-5165 (5 PM-7 PM weekdays, anytime on weekends)
- SARA Riel Inc. SENECA SERVICES: call 24-hour peer support line 204-231-0217 or 204-942-9276
- KIDS HELP PHONE: call 24/7 Text Connect to 686868 to connect to a Crisis Responder or Call 1-800-668-6868
- Klnic Crisis Line: call 24/7 Call 204-786-8686 or toll free 1-888-322-3019
- Student Counselling Centre: call to book an intake appointment call 204-474-8592
*For tips on staying well during COVID-19 you can access information on the Student Counselling Center website.
HOUSING, FOOD and DAILY LIFE SUPPORTS
- HAVEST FOOD BANK: call the emergency food line at 204-982-3660 or visit their website for more information here.
- AGAPE TABLE: provides $1 or free breakfast and has a foodbank. Monday to Friday from 8:00am – 10:30am. Located at 364 Furby Street. Contact at 204-786-2370 or find more information here.
- OAK TABLE: provides free lunch service Monday to Thursday between 11am – 3pm. Located at 109 Pulford Street. Find more information here.
- HELP NEXT DOOR: is a Winnipeg organization made up of local volunteers. You can seek help or volunteer. Find information and apply here.
- MA MAWI WI CHI ITATA CENTRE INC: for emergency supplies of food, basic sanitary needs, baby needs. Service hours are 9:00am – 7:00pm weekdays, and 9:00am – 4:00pm weekends. Call McGregor Street location at 204-925-0330 or 204-925-6816; call Spence St. location at 204-925-0352 or 204-925-0348.
- YOUR CELL PHONE AND COVID-19: for information on what various payment relief phone companies may be offering during this time click here.
- COMPUTERS FOR KIDS: is providing free access to computers for families who do not have them. For more information check here.
- STUDIO CENTRAL – URBAN ARTS CENTRE: supports mental health in the community through art. See their Facebook page for daily videos on various art lessons and activities.
- ACTIVE LIVING CENTRE: is providing online workout videos for while you are at home. To access subscribe to UofMRecServices at youtube.com
- CareMongering-Winnipeg Community Response to COVID 19 is a Facebook group that provides daily information on local resources. It is a public group and anyone can join.
LOCAL – *Available for international students, permanent residents and Canadian citizens
USMU HEALTH AND DENTAL PLAN: provides coverage for 80% of all prescribed medications up to $10,000.00 or covers the MB Pharmacare deductible. Find information here.
MB HYDRO – Neighbors Helping Neighbors Program: For assistance with paying utility bills, call 204-949-2106; find program information here
BANKING & CREDIT CARDS: individuals are encouraged to ask their banks, and other financial institutions for deferred payment plans at this time.
PROVINCIAL – *Available for Canadian citizens or permanent residents
- Employment Income Assistance – provincial program to assist with rent, food, life costs if you have no employment
- Rent Assist – is available for those on EIA and individuals/families working in certain income levels
- Pharmacare –for information on how to apply for this during the pandemic get info here
FEDERAL – *Available for Canadian citizens and permanent residents. Unclear at this time if it applies to international students. Will update as new information is provided.
Individual/Family Supports on GST, Child Tax Benefit and Income Tax, Mortgage Support, moratorium on Canadian Student Loans and the New Canada Emergency Response Benefit (CERB).