UMSU would like to see a new website for August 1, 2017. We are inviting student proposals for the new design and Content Management System (CMS). The successful proposal will be awarded a contract for design and maintenance. Design would start in June, and maintenance would continue through to April 2018.
2. Overview: UMSU
UMSU has existed since 1919. Although websites did not exist back then, our challenges have been the same: getting the message out to students.
With over 25,000 undergraduate students across various faculties and campuses, UMSU represents students to all levels of government and University Administration. Aside from representation, UMSU exists to help students through advocacy and campaigns, hosts numerous events, and operates several businesses and services, all with students in mind.
Currently, UMSU.ca receives over 14,000 visits a month, with popular pages being the Health & Dental, U-Pass, Degrees, and our front news page. The main audience is undergraduate students between the ages of 17-25, with a secondary audience being University staff & faculty.
The objective of the new website design is to quickly engage students and help them find what they are looking for in 3 clicks or under.
5. New website functionality requirements
The following are a list of features that are essential in the new website:
- Events Calendar
- Online forms with a backend database exportable to XLS or CSV, accessible by website administrators
- Easy-to-use CMS
- E-Commerce for social tickets
- Social media integration
- News or items that change out regularly – no stagnant content
- Search Box
- Google Analytics incorporation
- Student Group sub-sites
- YOUR ideas on how to better improve our website and communication to students via umsu.ca
An honorarium will be provided for design work, and an ongoing hourly rate will be provided for website updates throughout 2017 and up until April 2018.
7. Proposal Requirements
Present to a panel in the last 2 weeks of May your ideas!
Email firstname.lastname@example.org the following:
- A cover letter outlining why you would be interested in this experience;
- An up-to-date resume complete with 3 references;
- A PDF document containing:
- Statement – why you think your design would work for UMSU (no more than 1 page);
- Screen-shots of your proposed design.
8. Project Timeline Details
- Promotion of Opportunity: May 1 – May 31, 2017
- Proposals deadline: May 31, 2017
- Proposal review: June 1, 2017
- Proposals to Panel: June 2, 2017
- Contract for design begins: June 5, 2017
- Full delivery of website including completed testing and content: August 1, 2017